WIN a bed
A good night’s rest is a treasured commodity – and never more so than during the humid, sticky nights of summer. With so many of us suffering from insomnia, it is worth giving some thought to how you sleep, and on what, suggests Fiona Adams.
Start with a good mattress and bed frame. There are lots to choose from and it is important to try out as many as you can. Who knows, you may have thought your ideal bunk was soft and squidgy, when actually your body is craving something with a bit less give.
If you’re waking up feeling as if you need to head straight back for another night’s sleep, perhaps it’s time for a new bed? If so, you’re in luck. Thanks to bed specialist Warren Evans, which has opened a new shop in Guildford, we have a mattress and bed frame to give away to one lucky reader.
Named after its owner and founder, Warren was just 17 when he started making beds in his Clerkenwell workshop. Fast forward 35 years and his beds are still designed and handcrafted in London, but now in an environmentally friendly workshop in Walthamstow where they are built to last using traditional carpentry methods.
Warren has also built up the business with 13 showrooms across London and the South East, including Kingston and the new store on 14 Epsom Road, in Guildford. But before you check it out, try some of these tips for a good night’s kip – even when it’s hot – courtesy of Warren Evans sleep advisor, Dave Gibson:
- Close windows and blinds during the day to keep your room cool; only open them at night when the air temperature has dropped.
- Being cool is key, so shower before bed and invest in a fan.
- Keep bedding to a minimum: invest in a lighter duvet or use just a sheet. Don’t be tempted to go for broke with no bedding at all, as you can easily wake up too cold.
- Stay hydrated. If you don’t drink enough water during the day, you may find yourself going to bed with a headache. Avoid caffeine in the evenings, as it’s a stimulant and diuretic.
- Make sure you have blackout curtains – too much light can affect sleep patterns.
- Plenty of stores now sell drapes with special linings that help keep rooms warm in winter, but cool in summer.
To enter our competition to win one of Warren Evans's dream beds and mattresses, visit our competition page here - and to learn more about their Guildford and Kingston stores, visit their website here