Warm Watercress Potato Cake with Poached Egg and Trout
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
- 700g potatoes, peeled and cut into medium chunks
- 100g watercress, lightly chopped; 1 egg, beaten;
- 4 tbsp olive oil; salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To serve:
- 150g hot smoked trout fillets, broken into flakes;
- 50g watercress; 4 eggs, poached
1.Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 10-15mins or until tender. Drain, return to the pan and mash until smooth. Add the chopped watercress, beaten egg and plenty of seasoning. Mix well then leave until cool enough to handle.
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C/ 400°F/Gas Mark 6. Divide the mixture into four, and shape each into a neat cake shape. Brush on all sides with the oil and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 25 mins or until the cakes are golden brown.
3. When ready to serve, bring a frying pan of salted water to the boil. Reduce the heat so the water is just simmering, then crack the four eggs and gently drop them into the water. Cook for 3-4 mins or until the eggs are poached to your liking. Lift them from the water with a slotted spoon and drain.
4. Place a potato cake on each plate, top with watercress, flaked trout and the poached egg. Serve at once.