It's National Chip Week - a whole week of having an excuse to enjoy chips and try out different recipes! Check out this delicious sweet potato chip recipe
Triple-cooked chips made with delicious sweet potatoes are the perfect alternative recipe to sink teeth into this year. Celebrity chef and sweet potato lover Felice Tocchini has created the recipe as a different venture for chip-lovers from the ordinary potato, creating a dark golden sweet chip with a fluffy centre and crunchy skin.
Sweet Potato Triple Cooked Chips make a delicious side and are a great way to impress friends and family with – and with sweet potatoes being full of anti-oxidants and lower in calories than regular potatoes - they’re the perfect guilt-free treat (sort of).
Triple-Cooked Sweet Potato Chips
2 large sweet potatoes peeled
Vegetable oil to fry
- Slice the potatoes into 2cm thick chips. If the potato is too long cut them in half.
- Drop the chips into salted boiling water and reduce the heat to simmer. Boil until cooked.
- The potatoes are cooked when a knife point slides in easily. Remove from the heat and drain.
- 4. Place the chips in a single layer on a tray lined with kitchen paper or a clean cloth, this will help to absorb the moisture, and leave to cool down before playing the potato in the fridge to dry out – this is best done over night. You can speed up the process by placing them in the freezer for half an hour or so.
- Heat a fryer fillied with vegetable oil to 140 °C, drop in the chips and fry until they have a dry appearance – this will take about 8 – 10 minutes
- Drain the oil well and return to a tray, again lined with kitchen paper or a clean cloth. Leave to cool down and place back in the fridge for a couple of hours or cheat and use the freezer.
- When ready to serve, bring the fryer back to 180 °C, drop in the chips and cook until crisp – this will take about 7 – 8 minutes. Be careful not to overcook them as they will go very dark.
- Drain again and sprinkle with a little salt before serving.
© Felice Tocchini 2013