There are so many fun and imaginative chocolatey treats to choose from, says Catherine Whyte
1) Spoil the kids with a Crocus Easter Hamper from the fabulous Sussex-based independent Montezuma’s. Includes Dark Chocolate Bunnies, Peanut Butter Mini Eggs, Milking Maid Truffle Bag and a Space Hopper Bar. Either order online or pop into the Kingston store.
- £21.99. Head to: montezumas.co.uk
2) Award-winning artisan chocolatier Chococo has a fabulous range of imaginative Easter eggs for both adults and kiddies alike. I love this Dorset Dinosaur Studded Egg with fossil and dinosaur buried inside the thick shell and the C181 Robot Studded Egg (geddit?) complete with little metal men dusted in edible gold shimmer.
- Priced at £10.95. Order online at: chococo.co.uk
3) If ordinary Easter eggs seem a bit run-of-the-mill, why not raise the bar with this giant Ostrich Egg from Hotel Chocolat (£75). This adults-only offering contains over 1kg of chocolate – what luxury!
You can check out our round up of the best Easter egg hunts in Surrey & SW London by clicking here
4) Sara Jane Chocolates: you won’t find Sara’s chocolates on the shelf, but you can purchase a chocolate-making masterclass at her Epsom home, where you’ll spend the morning creating your own tremendous truffles. Sara also runs a variety of chocolatey-themed workshops for adults, children and even hen parties! Prices from £33 per person.
5) Wild and wacky, a chocolatey gift from Monty Bojangles is perfect for someone with a keen sense of fun. Seasonal specials include the Choccy Scoffy and Flutter Butter Truffle Easter Eggs – both £6. Purchase online or (better still) buy in person from the drool-inducing Truffle Bar and Coffee Lounge in Reigate.
6) Handmade in the Surrey Hills, luxury doesn’t get more local that KOKOH chocolate. There are so many interesting flavours to choose from: Wattleseed and Hazlenut; Himalayan Pink Salt; and Chilli and Lime to name a few. Seasonal gift packs and Easter eggs also available.
- Individual bars cost £1.70 each. Buy from: Nonsuch Mansion Pantry, Ewell Two Many Cooks, Dorking, Guildford Farmers’ Market; Caracoli (Guildford, Farnham or Haslemere stores); One Forty, Cranleigh; Flying Bean Coffee (Woking Station); Watts Gallery gift shop, Compton.
7) Ildiko’s Chocolate is a real Surrey success story. From making chocolate as a hobby, owner Ildiko is now finalising plans to open a chocolaterie in the area sometime soon, so watch this space. You can buy her beautiful creations online and at farmers’ markets around Surrey (Wallington, Farnham and Kew Village) and at Corkage Wine Bar in Guildford. I particularly like this unusual continental-style langue de chat (cat’s tongue) gift box (£6.50). The perfect gift for any Remainers, peut-etre?
8) Based in West Byfleet, self-styled ‘posh’ hot chocolate specialists Hans Sloane have created a cute mug-sized Easter egg filled with chocolate beads (£2.00). Simply add hot milk or hot water for a truly luxurious drink that’s head and shoulders above the rest.
- Order online at: sirhanssloane.co.uk. Also available from Waitrose, Ocado and Amazon
9) Bachmann’s Patisserie is one of Surrey’s best-known chocolate champions but you’ll have to travel in person to get your hands on their melt-in-the-mouth masterpieces, such as these pretty floral Easter eggs (starting at £18 for 200g and rising to £90 for 1000g).
- Outlets on Portsmouth Road, Thames Ditton and Church Street, Weybridge. Visit: bachmanns.co.uk for details
Check out our Food/Drink section for more tasty morsels
Sign up to our Weekly Newsletter for exclusive competitions, offers and stories
Looking to advertise your business in Surrey or SW London? Check out our 11 different lifestyle magazines with a combined monthly distribution of over 210,000