STIHL TIMBERSPORTS® at RHS Garden Wisley
British lumberjack elite will be showcasing their chainsaw skills over a rip-roaring weekend 16- 17 August at RHS Garden Wisley.
Visitors to RHS Garden Wisley over the weekend of 16- 17 August will have the chance to see the very best in lumberjack sports as Britian’s elite STIHL TIMBERSPORTS® athletes come to showcase their axe and saw prowess with strength, endurance and technical ability.
Look out for:
- Standing Block Chop – watch as the athletes simulate felling a tree with an axe.
- STIHL Stock Saw – a race to saw two discs of wood in one down and one up cut (not as easy as is sounds!)
- Underhand Chop – see how fast they can cut a felled tree (32cm thick) with just an axe.
- Single Buck – using a single man cross-cut saw athletes must cut through 19 inches of white pine.
- Springboard – see the experts cut through a block of wood which is on top of a tree trunk via two springboards. They need balance as well as technique for this one.
- Hot Saw – using extremely powerful chainsaws the athletes need to cut three discs from a horizontally positioned trunk as quickly as possible.
Having been part of the worldwide STIHL TIMBERSPORTS® Series since 2005, British athletes have enjoyed success celebrating a Nation’s Cup team win and medals at three past Championship events, so it is a real treat to welcome some of those team members to Wisley for the weekend.
The sport originated in 19th century Australia where lumberjacks held local competitions to determine the best of their profession. Over time these tests of strength and skill evolved to a professional level and in 1985 the first STIHL TIMBERSPORTS® Series competitions took place in the USA.
To celebrate the STIHL TIMBERSPORTS® weekend a woodcraftsman will also be showcasing their skills.
Normal garden entry applies & suitable for all the family. For more information visit www.rhs.org.uk/wisley